Monday, June 1, 2009

it's a deep kind of burn

So this weekend was a little bit of a adventure. Now that I have started hashing with some really cool people, they had invited me out to Seoul for a hash. So me and a couple of other people went to Seoul. These are my stories from friday.


Friday:

Normal day of work, nothing spectacular. I had finished work around 4:30ish so I jumped right out of class and into my room. I packed as fast as possible and headed out to Buan. I eventually get to Buan around 5:45 and my bus to Seoul left promptly at 5:50. I was inforemed by a co-worker that it may take up to and including 3.5 hours to get to Seoul. So I prepared myself for the long haul. I brought snacks and music for me to listen too on the way there. The bus driver probably was in a rush because I got there in less then 3 hours. I get off of the bus and try to make my way to the subway. I was given instructions to where to go via internet mail. I tried to follow the instructions given to me carefully so that I wouldn't get lost. And of course I get lost, I hopped on the wrong subway train. The good thing was that I realized what had happened so I jumped off and got on the correct train. Apparently Seoul subways work the same as NYC there is an up town and down town, but no one told me of that little fact. So I get to Itaewon before anyone else does. I see the place and I am instantly awed by the sights. It was exactly like new york but with more life. I started to walk around and eventually find my way to the hotel my friends wanted to stay at. I was in Itaewon for a good 2 hours before my friends showed up. So I decided to get some food and start relaxing. I was told of a bar that was owned and operated by filipinoes so I decided to go there and partake in some beer. My friends eventually all show up. We stick around and drink a little more together and then drop off their stuff in the hotel. Then we were off to have more fun. We decided to just hop from bar to bar having fun. We did so and ended up at a local bar, which was pretty cool. We met some really cool foreigners and hung out with them. We ended up out until about 3 am. I was informed that most bars were open until 10am. I am no longer that young and cannot withstand a party until 10am. So we all ended up going back for some sleep at 3 am.

Saturday:
My internal clock usually wakes me up around 7am. Even though I had partied until 3am, my body decided to wake up at 7am. I was dragging myself around for a while. My friends decided to wake up at 10am. I was not as fortunate as them. After everyone woke up we headed out for breakfast. It had been a while since I had a good American breakfast, so this was a nice treat. We ate and just relaxed for a couple of hours. Some of the people in our group decided to go to a couple different hashes on saturday. I was not in the mood nor did I have the energy to go to a hash. Stand and I decided to stay back and relax. We both didn't want to hash that day. Instead, we walked around Itaewon and took a boat on the han river. We were out until about 8pm, just in time for our friends to be done with hashing. We all took a nap for a little bit of time. Woke up and went out around 10pm. We met up with other hashers in the area and had drinks with them. We had just started to bar hop with them. It was pretty interesting. We went to all the local watering wholes for the hashers. We all did some dancing and had some fun. Again we were out until about 2am. This time we didn't do too much drinking, just enough hahahaha.

Sunday:
Sunday rolls around and I am all torn up. My body felt like it just came through the grinder. Today was supposedly a big hash. So the group and I wanted to go. So we all started mounting up around 1030am. We get to the start sight, kinda. We had to walk 1 km to the start sight. Since this was my first time again hashing, I was considered a virgin. The good thing was that I did not have to go through anything too embarrassing. The hike was a pretty thought on me though. It had very steep hills to conquer. I actually had to stop and really catch my breath for it. This actually gave me even more of an excuse to get into better shape. I felt like I was literally going to die on the hill. My heart was beating through my chest and I could not catch my breath for the life of me. It was good times. So of course, my stopping constantly and for breathers and near heart attacks put me in last place. So I was walking and walking and walking. I eventually meet up with another guy that had gotten lost. Him, Stan, and I walked the rest of it together. As we were getting to the last leg of the trail, we were met by other hashers dispatched to find us. Apparently we were so late and took so long that they actually got worried about us. We all had a good laugh about the situation. After some traditional fun with the virgins, we all went to get some food. At this time i was super worried about catching my bus back to gyeokpo. It was already 2ish and it takes a good 3 hours to get back to buan and I still had to transfer to another bus to gyeokpo, the last one was at 8pm. So I was told not to worry and to keep my panties on. So I was like ok fine. We all joined the group had some food with some really bad service. I had some really good conversation and what not. It was a good time. we left around 3:45ish. Jump into the subway to get to the bus terminal around 4:30ish. I find out my bus doesn't leave until 5:00, and that wasn't good at all. Considering it takes 3 hours to get back, it had seemed that I was going to miss my bus back home and I would have to find my way back to Gyeokpo. So I spent the whole trip back looking at the clock. I wasn't really able to take a nap or rest. So the trip was closing in around 3 hours, realistically around 2 hours 45 min. I was sitting in my chair rocking back and fourth until I realized where we were. We had made it to buan but the time was closing in on 8pm. Once we pulled into the station I jumped out of my seat and right into the bus I needed to be in. I had made the bus time within 5 min of it leaving for my town. And I got home promptly around 8:30pm.


That was the majority of my weekend. I spent a crazy load of money on hotel, food and booze. What I got back was, good friends, conversation and stories. I also had to relearn a past lesson. I really need to get into shape. I am only 26 years old. I shouldn't be struggling to go up hills and do mild hiking. I was beaten to the finish line by guys nearly double my age. How am I supposed to react to that? So I don't know, hopefully this time the lesson will stick and get me motivated to be able to walk up hills without nearly dieing.


_____

The End

Sometimes it's as easy as putting one foot in front of the other.

-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment