Sunday, June 28, 2009

It's only rain

This hash was such a mix of events. I find it only appropriate to name it “if at first you don’t succeed”. This hash really took place in two days. I will start on the first. Friday. I was asked to take care of the hash in Gyeokpo, since it was my town I was to set trail. I was very excited to create a trail that was not only challenging but interesting as well. The weekend prior I did a dry run of the hash, it went well and the trail was great. When the actual day of the hash came I decided to try to create the trail as early as possible so I can spend some time with the hashers. I thought I had enough chalk to last me for the whole trail. I woke up early this day. I started to set trail with the chalk I had and I didn’t even make it to the half way mark of the trail. It was early in the morning and there was not a cloud in the sky and the day seemed to hold good weather. Since I could not finish the trail I laid in wait until the group came into town. A couple hours later I received a phone call from Highly Strung asking if I could text my address to her via Korean Language to her. I had no idea how to do it, but I tried and it took me quite a while to actually text it to her successfully. So there I was again, laying in wait until the hashers came into town. They all eventually got to my town and I directed them to where they needed to go. I was resupplied with chalk. Once the chalk was in my hands I started to reset the trail. I followed my trail that I set a while ago. I was nearing more than half way when I saw in the distance a looming dark cloud. These dark clouds were in the distance, but I could see that they meant trouble. I sent a text to Highly Strung to inform her of the imminent threat of rain. As I continued doing my trail I felt a couple drops of water. I was quite confused on where they were coming from. I had worked up a sweat and I was near the water; so naturally I brushed it off. I finished the trail and got back with the rest of the group around 1:30ish. The trail had taken me about 2 hours walking with all the check points and challenges. So I sat down to grab a beer and relax with Hammer and Highly Strung. Then it happened. There was a slight drizzle. The Slight drizzle became heavy rain. My hard work just got washed away in a blink of an eye. There are no words on how angry I really was.

In an attempt to salvage the situation, the hashers decided to make lemonade with the lemons that was handed to us. We set up the BBQ in front of a motel with cover from the rain and started drinking and waiting for other people to arrive to eat. While preparing and chit chatting the skies started to clear up and there was an opportunity to continue with the hash. We took a vote amongst the hashers and they were up for the hash. The problem with that was the trail was gone. I was asked to be a live hare with no name Isak. I was fortunate because Isak had lived and worked in the area the year before. He and I started the trail again. We set out on the trail and everything was going well. We get to a certain point and I find that it had suddenly become high tide and my original trail was no longer possible. Again, I was pretty angry with the situation. We continued on and on with the trail. We were near the finishing line when the hashers that had left 15 -20 after us caught up with us. Since our trail was not done they had to stop running and keep pace with us until we finish the trail. Upon arriving near the finish line we saw the walkers only at the beginning part of the trail, we all laughed. It wasn’t for another 2 hours until they all arrived at the finish line. We start eating and drinking again. We are all chatting and being the loud hasher group that we are. The night continues with great conversations and people. Short to say fun was had by all.

As the night continued, the hash group finally came together. We were to wrap up the hash and do the traditional ceremonies. This night was more than tradition. It was the naming ceremony for two of the no names. No name Stan and no name Tori were to be officially named this night. Hammer and Highly Strung had the difficult task of not only trying to quiet a rowdy group of drunks but also officiate the naming the two people. Eventually they get everyone in order and they start they do the ceremony. After a couple minutes of debate and talk Stan became “Tequila Mockingbird” and Tori became “Tipsy Tori”. I was more inclined for “mouth from the South” for Stan, but I did not win that battle. After the naming ceremony we were asked politely, not really, to move our party elsewhere seeing that we were being too loud. We move to an open patio and start drinking more. We played the old, but good, game of “I never”. This really got the group to bond more. We told a lot of jokes and stories that night. Most of the hashers called it a night around 1amish, some stayed out til later for more debauchery.

Sunday:
This will be short. Woke up in the morning met with all the hashers and we head out for breakfast. We tell tale of night of fun. Some come in later on and eat while the others headed to the local carnival. We jumped into a ride called the turbo disco. The operator sees that we are all foreigners and starts having fun with the ride. He starts throwing us around in the ride and speaks konglish over the speaker. Makes us suffer whilst he laughs like an evil genius. After the ride, we come out sweaty and beat up. The other eventually catch up and some of the group get back on the ride for more fun with the operator. He again begins to torture them via carnival ride. After the ride, we all jump into ATVs and go. The nice Korean man let us take his ATVs, he lead us to a temple. At the temple we found a group of Koreans praying, the Koreans decided to give us water and food, we all laugh a little out loud. After a while there we get back on the ATVs and head back into town. We all eventually jump into the water and cool off. They all finish up and leave around 4ish.

*Side Note*
Part of the trail, I forgot to mention, brought the hashers to a random ostrich farm in my town. That was possibly the best part of the trail.

Again these weekends are bitter sweet. I am fortunate enough to meet great people and have fun with them, but it is only for a short amount of time. Days like those make me long for home sometimes. Being surrounded by good people and friends is something that I have grown accustomed too. I am thankful for the time I did have with them. I will have more moments for me to enjoy their company.

____


The End


If at first you don’t succeed. Try and try again.


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment