Wednesday, June 3, 2009

sometimes you can't fight nature

So Tuesday was a fun day. On Tuesdays I usually go to an island to teach in 2 different schools. The boat usually leaves around 7:10am. I do my regular routine and wake up at 5:30 am and get ready for work. Whilst I walked to the port I was thinking to myself its awfully cloudy and windy today, I was hoping that the boat was canceled. Well my boat was on time. I get to the island and all is normal. I taught at one school and proceeded to the next one. Nothing out of the ordinary was happening; it was a regular day for me. Then it happened, I was told that my boat was canceled because of the weather. The teacher who told me said that some teachers knew and didn't warn him. I am pretty sure he knew but forgot to tell me. So I had to spend the night in the island. That wasn't fun at all. I always wondered what it was like sleeping there, now I know. I thought that Gyeokpo was bad, this place was just short of horrible. It's a beautiful island, don't get me wrong, I would like walking and exploring for the day, that is about it.

Tuesday night:
So I finished classes around 3ish. I was led to my "room". This room was an empty dorm room with a tv and some blankets. It wasn't too bad at all. I was invited to eat dinner with the other teachers around 6:30. In between the time I spent waiting for dinner, I hit a couple of golf balls. 6:30 comes around and I was hungry. They gave me some type of chicken stew, it wasn't bad. 7:00 rolls around and I was done eating and extremely bored. I was able to go use the internet in the office so I did that for a while. Then I went back to the room to rest up a little bit. I got really bored because there was no american programming on the Tv on the island. I decided to start texting my friends. One of friends started texting me back. She kept me company for a couple min via text and the internet chating. That lasted me until about 9ish. After chating with her online, I left the office. I didn't expect the island to be so dark. Walking from the office to the dorm was maybe a yard or so, and it was creepy. First of all there wasn't any lights on, second of all there was a vicious wind kicking up a fuss. Those two combined just gave me the creeps. I was actually informed earlier that there might not be a boat in the morning. I didn't want to to believe it, so i slept early so I can wake up early.

Wednesday:
I wake up again at 5:45 am. I was determined to find out if that boat was there. The port was about a 30 min-ish walk from the school. I decided that I had to leave at 6:45 to see if the boat was going to leave at 7:50. I thought to myself, the worst thing that could happen is that there would be no boat at all. If there were no boat all I had to do was walk back or catch the bus back to the place until someone told me when the boat was going. So I arrive at the port around 7:20 ish. I walk up and ask if the boat was coming, and the answer was yes. I was excited. I was really having nightmares the night before about being stuck in the Island for the next couple days. So I wait for the boat, I grab some snacks to tide me over for the day. The boat arrives promptly at the right time. I get back to Gyeokpo at 8:45. This gave me enough time to walk back to my room and grab new clothes. I change and once I was done changing I had to catch the bus to another school. The day went on the same, just not as fun and me more tired. I was dragging myself around as if I were carring a sack of bricks.


___

The End

Home is where the heart is.


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment