Thursday, May 14, 2009

sometimes you need to laugh

The funny thing about being out here is seeing what we share in common. I thought, as many people do, that a foreign land and people means a totally different place. The thing that I see that transcends color, race and religion is laughter. I found that sometimes even when trying to communicate in a different language, that laughing is the best solution. There have been many moments in my experiences here where me and the person that I am trying to talk to laugh about not being able to actually talk. I find that this common connection is one of the many glues of society that we often over look.

Now that I have started writing again, I find myself people watching more often. I didn't really do it as much when I was back at home. Now that I am doing it again, it is a fun little hobby. I think I might have an advantage here, I blend into the crowd and I don't stick out so people go about their business. Seeing that I am not from this land or culture I get to see more of who people really are. The funny thing is that the people I am around aren't really that different. I have constantly been invited to go to dinner with my co-workers. We have no real way of communication, but often share a laugh through hand gestures. From what I have seen, heard and experienced, its all the same. We laugh at the same jokes and I watch them interact, it's like siting at home with my family making the same jokes. I assumed that it would be a lost in translation situation. It's really more like a familiar stranger, if that makes any sense.

I have always enjoyed the gift humor. Like I said humor is one of those things that kinda glues our societies together. Even if we can't communicate, sometimes pointing and laughing at something that we find commonly funny will build that foundation of true friendship. If not a friendship, a good laugh is usually a cure for anything. Our values may differ in many different aspects, but laughing at something stupid or ridiculous helps people bond. This is one of the many little things that give me comfort over here. Even though sarcasm is a foreign and misunderstood idea over here; I still get to enjoy a good laugh at stupid things.

Again, I find myself rambling. I guess what I am really trying to say is. I found that one of the fundamental things that makes me happy is laughter. Sometimes when I feel not at home or really frustrated, I look at the situation and laugh. Because sometimes I can't help but laugh at what is going on. There is no point at being angry, because in the long run it's easier to laugh then to get angry. Things tend to seem better and feel better when you laugh; even better when you get to share the laughter.
____

The End

There's a thin line between to laugh with and to laugh at.
Richard Pryor

-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment