Tuesday, May 12, 2009

self actualization

Self actualization is an idea. I first ran into this idea in college. It was in a psych course that I had signed up for. I read into it more and more. Self actualization is the idea that one has the ability to understand one's own potential. Once that potential is realized, you can begin a path of true greatness. I enjoyed this idea for many reasons. First, because it really give you the control to do what you need to do to realize your potential. Once you realize it you can obtain a higher level of awareness and self control. You can maximize your path in life and really control what is to come down the path. It wasn't until I came here did I actually start the path of self actualization. I didn't realize how much I was stunted by staying where I was in life. I was content with the grind and with my little world. I never really knew my real abilities as far as anything. I had a feeling of who I was and what my purpose was, but really why. My personal bubble back at home kept me from really getting into the world and taking it on. The day I got here; that bubble was burst into pieces. My values and my fortitude was tested and retested. What I have found was that I was not as prepared as I hoped. I thought that I would or could handle most to anything that life threw at me until I came here. I am not saying I am a weak willed person or my fortitude lacks strength. I really thought I was going to leave and turn tail. I guess I needed a kick in the pants to really get me moving in the right direction. I guess this is the time for me to really re-evaluate everything. I don't know nor do I have high expectations for this year as far as anything, but I do hope to grow a little bit. This is a real opportunity for me to get my head out of the sand. There are many steps that I need to start on. The first few steps are always the hardest, but I really need to find the motivation to start. I believe one of my first real goals is to break the bad habits. I know it's easier said then done, but I might as well as try and fail for fear of not trying at all.

Right now all of this is talk. Talk with no action at all. Of course I want to be a better person, who doesn't? But, often I find the true path to change is the path with most resistance or the least traveled. I find that my life has always been in the wind. I don't plan nor do I have any plans to plan. I think that most of the time life just pushes me in the direction I need to go and I just flow with it. I like that aspect of my life. I guess that is my greatest strength and weakness at the same time. I guess that is what need to change first. I am just rambling right now.

I think my path to self actualization is going to be different. I really don't know how to start on it. This is really the only time I can do it. My misfortune in luck may just be the opportunity my life needs for me to jump start on finding not only who I am, but also what I can really do.

How about you? Have you started on your path or are you following what you were told? Remember sometimes the path to self actualization may be a path that no one wants you to follow, but you. Sometimes the bad ideas might be the best idea. I am not promoting making stupid decisions, but I am telling you to take a risk. Those risks will lead you to a path that you may have never seen. It is ok to step outside of your comfort zone. It is scary doing so, but leaving your comfort zone will show you a lot of things about yourself.

Maximize your potential. Step outside of yourself and your bubble. See where what happens, you will be surprised not only the result but your reaction. It's never too late to learn something new about yourself.


____

The End

"one often meets his destiny on the path they choose to avoid it" The turtle from Kungfu Panda


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. i have been reading your blog and i think your experience in Korea will teach you a lot of lessons which will define your future. will be waiting for more interesting stories from you.

    love, tita nennette bacani

    ReplyDelete