Saturday, May 16, 2009

sometimes you need to laugh part deux: eletric dynomite

So I decided to make this post about the power of laughter again. I was at dinner with my co-workers again. We were at this restaurant in a very remote area. So we sit down and start eating. I ended up sitting next to 3 teachers, 1 can speak fairly good English and the other 2 are at a very basic level. I hear the normal chit chatter of the people talking. There had been something wrong with the stove at my table. The gentleman sitting next to me tried to fix the problem by throwing a paper cup into the fire hoping to ignite more of the fire. The whole table started laughing at his antics, and for my sake all of them in perfect English says "fire!". At that moment we started to laugh a little bit. The whole night this gentleman tried to make conversation with me through hand gestures and jokes. His English skills are at a basic level, but he still tried his hardest to make that communication. I think he knows that I like to laugh, so he tried to make gestures or try to communicate something funny. So the night continued. We had been ordering drinks and beer for most of the night. One of the teachers said to me, "can you order beer for us?". I was like ok. So in my best effort to ask for beer in the language. The waitress turns to me and says in Korean that there is no more beer. So i turn my head and everyone was looking at me like I had 5 heads. They were astonished at what I just had said in their language. So they start asking me what else I know. My level of Korean is at the most basic level, at best. So I start spouting what I had knew in the language. They all were laughing and also impressed with my grip of baby level Korean. One of the people in the group says in Korean that I was cute for trying. The funny and ironic thing was I feel the same way when they try to speak English. When they speak English and are struggling, in my head I am always saying "come on you can do it". It was funny to me to see the tables being turned. After that, we had continued to eat. My co-workers tried more and more to communicate and what not. Now, at the table and generally in the area, I am a pretty big guy. Being overweight is not a common thing in Korea, so my co-teachers always talk to me about that. At the table after I was done eating, the gentleman next to me starts making jokes about my size. I start laughing with him. At one point, he puts his hand on my belly and says "pregnant?". I said yes, with twins. He starts bursting in laughter. We start laughing together. He turns to the vice principal and translates to Korean and she starts laughing. The rest of the table caught wind of what he had said, and we all start laughing. One of the people at the table asks how long. I told them 8 months. They start laughing even more with me. After that I start talking to the people who can speak English and to some who can't too. We start talking and what not. Again joking ensues about random things. We end the night and go back to our respective dorms.

I wanted to tell this story to really drive home the idea of my last blog. Even at a basic level of English or no English at all, laughter is the easiest way to communicate. I think that joking and laughing opens up doors of communication and bonding. When they started joking and laughing with me, I really felt at home. The simple act of it or the effort of doing it was comforting. One part of the story I for got to mention. While I was eating. The gentleman beside me picks up what we were eating, it was a small piece of duck. He turns to me and says "mickey mouse leg?". He starts laughing and so do I. Again it was a simple level of communication, but at least he was trying to communicate some how. This is why I think the power of jokes and laughter is undeniable. This is why I chose comedy as my personality, because at a very basic level everyone likes to laugh. I really do think and believe this. This is how I live my life. One joke at a time.


____

The End

"If you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?" -somebody



-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment