Tuesday, May 19, 2009

can you say road trip?

A couple of weeks ago I had a little bit of a random road trip. It was a weird series of events. It all started when I had a 4 day weekend. There was an international film festival going on that I really wanted to attend. This international film festival sounded like an awesome idea to really get a feel for something new. I am by far the least cultured guy I know. I thought that a film festival would do me some good, with my luck all the good shows were sold out. So I was standing there with a couple of friends playing pool bummed that most to all the movies were sold out. Then a voice of hope comes from left field. We should go to Seoul. After a couple minutes of mulling over and pondering, I was in. Random road trip to Seoul, sounds like a good idea. My bags were already packed and I had no real responsibilities that weekend. So the next day early in the morning, there I went with one other person to Seoul. So I jump into the bus with my friend and take a 3 hour trip to Seoul. We get into Seoul and it was exactly how I thought it would be. I was basically walking in the streets of New York. The funny thing about that was I am in a small town in South Korea, so my reaction was something like this "wow, you city folk sure are fancy." My friend and I start making our way to where we need to be. We find a taxi and take a 10 min drive to the town we were needed to go to. The part of the story I forgot to mention was that there was a lantern light festival going on. That was partly or mostly why we went to Seoul. So we get to the town that we need to go to. We find our way to an information booth. We needed to find a place to sleep. The idea of a hostel crossed my friends mind. By the way my friend's name is Stan. I will refer to him as such for the rest of the story. So Stan had the idea before to sleep in a hostel. When we get to the information center we get the hostels in the area. The first one that was suggested to us was called banana backpackers. I kid you not, that was the real name of the place. The joking ensues for and about the name. Such as, really?!? banana backpackers. In America a place like this would not be a place to sleep at, actually it would be a club for well you get the idea. I started to rename the place as banana hammock packers, to really drive home the point. I really wish I had taken a picture of it. It was quite a funny event slash story slash situation. So Stan and I walk into the hostel and ask for rooms. Apparently they were all out of rooms. So in a scramble we asked where the nearest other hostel is. We luckily found one and booked the room. We asked where it was. It was about an hour away. Thanks desk lady for giving us a warning. So we asked her to un-book it and asked for the nearest motel. We were told to go somewhere and we followed instructions as told. So we found a motel and what they called rooms. It was a 4 by 4 cell hardly enough room to walk and or sit, but we got the rooms for sleeping and not much more. So we put our stuff down and start walking towards the festivities. We walk back to banana backpackers, well because there was a cute girl there that I wanted to finish flirting with. I decided not to walk into the place for reasons unknown, reassuring myself that she will be there later. So we walk away and into town. We check out all the local stuff like handcrafted everything. I saw Monks from all over the world walking around. I saw beautiful lanterns hanging from everywhere. I saw all walks of life just mixing together. It was really a cool experience. We had decided earlier that we would go back later at night when the lanterns were on. So we walk back to the rooms and rest up. We wake up later on the night and leave the rooms. Then decided to go back to banana backpackers to find where the local flavor was, also to finish what I started with the girl. With my luck she had left, her shift was over. So we got the info we needed. Stan looks at me with the I told you so look, he had warned me earlier that if I didn't talk to her earlier I would lose my chance. So we move on, we retrace our steps and find the lanterns all on. A monk who had been drawing people's energy all day picked me out of the crowd. He told me in his best English to put my hand on a piece of paper and draws a picture. Apparently the man is and the writing means ghost killer. So I guess he drew me something to protect me from evil spirits. Which is a really cool thing. The night went on. We took some really cool pictures of some really cool places. At the end we were both a little bit thirsty. We also wanted to interact with some people. Some company wouldn't hurt any bit. So we go bar hopping. Finding that the local bar scene isn't any different from back in our respective towns. As a last hope and or ditch effort to find some other people, because it was basically a empty night, we walk to the last bar which can really be explained by the picture. Yeah, I think that explains why we went into the place. Despite the name, there was no such things going on there. If you look closely at the picture you will see that it is technically the second one in existence. We went in there for the kicks of it. We wanted to go just because of the name, if we didn't then the story wouldn't of been as entertaining. We finish our night there and head back to the room beaten from the day. The next day was a little more relaxing. We knew the lay of the land, so we had nothing on the agenda. We had met two other travelers that stayed in out motel and decided to join them on their journey. We grab breakfast at a local coffee shop. We all ended up sitting on the roof top of the coffee shop eating and enjoying the sun for what it had offered. It was a good way to really relax. So after an hour or so we started to mosey along. Walked around enjoyed the sights again and found a local park. At the local park we ended up just laying in the grass. Not long after that, the two travelers left and we left soon after. Our trip had come to an end. I get back to Jeonju and found that I had spend most to all of my money. I had made plans earlier to meet up with another friend, she had to pick me up via cab. I ended up spending the night at Stan's place and went back home the next day. That just sums up the trip.


___

The End


Be sure to take the road less traveled; you might just find out that was the road you were supposed to be on.


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment