Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Catching up part 2: the electric boogaloo

So, where was I? I left off with the church. It was an interesting experience. Nothing more to it then that. The first month was a bad month for me. The bad experiences really took away from the good ones. It really weighed heavily on my thoughts of staying or leaving. I kept on trying to give it a chance and every time I did, road blocks and problems kept on coming up. I powered on, even though I really wanted to leave. The biggest source of strength was actually my family. Without them, I really don't know what would have happened. So that was basically my first real month in South Korea. There were some really funny stories that I will tell tale of later on.

The second month, April. This is where I think I started to actually accept everything. For the first month and into a couple weeks of the second month I was miserable. Then one day I realized the more I fought my way up stream, the harder it would be for me. So I decided to finally just stop fighting because I won't be able to really enjoy where I am and what I am doing. I started to bond with the children that I was teaching. I started to bond with the teachers. The better part was I was starting to make more and more friends. I started to enjoy myself a little bit. Now this month was also a bitter sweet time for me. It was a birthday that I would be celebrating it alone. The nice thing was the church I am attending decided to have a picnic. Now I didn't tell anyone that it was my birthday. It was special anyways. I spent the weekend with good friends and when I got back to my appartment, I found a slew of well wishes from friends and family. This was also very meaningful to me. My parents actually sent me a second care package. I thought it was a regular package. I was wrong. As I was going through the package, I saw many items and what not. They sent me a card and all that. Then I had found an easter egg that had a simple label on it saying "happy easter". I opened it up and found cherioes. I kid you not, I almost started to cry. I don't know what set it off, it was so simple. I was on the brink of crying and laughing at the same time. Now this is the month that I had also gotten into a fight with one of the teachers that I was teaching with. She and I had been clashing heads for a while. It finally came to a full on fight one day. I had gotten many things off of my chest and her as well. The next time I taught with her, everything was so much better. And that was basically the end of the second month. I was able to get a better lay of the land. I was able to get a better hold of how to handle myself and the situation. I was able to really start being ok with everything. This is the month that I started to really come into my own. Thanks to the support from my friends and family at home, and also the friends here. I think it has gotten better because I do not hate waking up in the moring in this place any more. I have found a routine, kind of. I have started a path to trying to pick up the language. I am starting to find ways to deal with the isolation and what not of the area. This is the month that I realized that I like my area. I spend many weekends in the nearest large city. I forget that I hate to hear the ambient noise of the city. The simplicity of my area, having the opportunity to have my windows open and not have to hear cars or people wizz by. I also have the oppotunity to enjoy amazing sunsets on a daily basis. This place has also let me appeciate the small and big things in life.

Well that bascially covers March and April. May has just started. I have stories and what not. I don't think I will write about those yet. The month is still too young for me to start writing about it. I don't know how many times I will be writing on this blog. I decided to carry around a notepad and a pen. I want to start jotting down stuff. More then likely, you will be reading some random thoughts and events of the day.



___

I also want to start writing some pearls of wisedom that I come up with. More then likely these will come from a source. Others, may be from my head. I will be sure to inform you of which one it is.


I will end this blog with something that I read from a book titled "The Little Prince". The passage goes "One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."

The End
-Cezar-

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment