Monday, July 20, 2009

swing away

This weekend was a nice relief from the past weekends. I have had such a packed july that it has been just a little crazy. I found myself back n Jeonju for the weekend. Friday night I went out with Stan and a couple of his students for dinner. We ate at a local Japanese restaurant which had some really great food to offer. We were eating and drinking for most of the night. After eating at the restaurant, they wanted to change venues to a local art gallery where we can continue drinking. Most of the night was spent trying to create an English name for the two Korean men that were with us. So we spent the night laughing and talking about potential names for both of them. Eventually we all came to the agreement of Kevin and Louis. In turn, we asked them for Korean names. After some thought and more laughing and talking, I was named chiho, loosely translated as "drunken tiger". I instantly fell in love with the name. The whole night everyone kept referring to me as Chiho and we would all laugh about it. We were out until about 2am laughing and drinking with the two gentlemen. The best part of the whole situation was the Korean men were actively making jokes in English. The type of jokes that you would only expect from native speaking English people. That's what really made the night a little more fun. The fact that I was being made fun of and vice versa by Koreans.

Saturday rolls around. I was still a little bit groggy from the night before. Stan and I had an appointment with another one of his students. We were to go golfing at a local area. It had been some time since I picked up any type of golf set, so I was naturally both excited and nervous. We didn't have time to go to the golf range before the game so I had to play with borrowed clubs and extremely rust in my golf joints. We get to the field and I naturally don't want to go first. I wait a little to swing the club. I don't know what came over me. I think I was channeling Tiger Woods. I picked up the driver. I set the form. I bring back the club and swing away. All I heard was a beautiful *TING* and saw my ball go straight and onto the green. And if you believe that really happened then I feel bad for you. What really happened was I took a swing and the ball went to the extreme left only to be saved by the net. I laughed it off, but really wanted to throw my clubs in anger. The rest of the game basically had the same tone. I spent more time in the rough then the gardeners. It was all in good fun though, I was able to pick up the clubs again. I didn't realize how much I missed being on the field playing golf. After golf was done, we all went out to lunch. We talked about the game and pretty much anything and everything. We all eventually part ways. Stan and I were so tired that taking a nap was in order. After a quick nap, a couple of friends called us to go out. So we go out to the local shopping area to meet up. We walked around tried to do some shopping and what not. Eventually ran into another set of people and some of them joined us in our night of fun. We went to a local watering hole for foreigners and then to what Koreans call a night club. We were out until about 3am.

Sunday was a little uneventful. Stan went out for more golfing fun, I had to try to find something to buy. So some of the people from the night before met up with me and we went searching for my items. During our search, we sat and ate at a local Filipino food restaurant. I introduced them to what was being served and what not. At the end of the time in the area, I didn't find what I was looking for. So I headed off to church then after church I went home like usual.


___

The End


You won't have it when you want it, but you will have it when you need it.

-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment