Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Simple Things

Here we are again. I think I will try to stay on this path of developing my ability to describe things. I have been reflecting on what it means for me as a writer. I believe at the end of the day this tool will help get you, as the reader, more involved in the story. If I were to just state that the object was a leaf or something like that, you will not be as engaged. The stories that I weave need to have details. I think I have to tell you about the object or situations as if you have never seen or heard of them before. I believe these exercises in description will lead me to a new path in my writing. I hope all of you enjoy reading it as much as I write it. On a side note. Something interesting occurred to me when I was reflecting on my style of writing and how to develop it. I realized that when I write I am on the same journey as you. I write as the stories develop. I have no forethought about what is going to happen in a particular story. I have a general idea on where the story will end, but how it progresses is a mystery to me. That is why I believe being as descriptive as possible will help in the stories I tell.


Breath

The diaphragm expands. Air is funneled into tubes into the lungs. The Lungs expand and exchange what is necessary. The waste is funneled back into the same tubes and out. All of this in a matter of seconds, it is simple as A and B. We breath in and out. An exchange of particles of molecules and atoms so minute that no human eye can perceive it. This exchange has been dealt many times in our lives. The true events of this "simple" exchange cannot be so easily described by words as small as the very molecules themselves. We think it as only an exchange. This event happens because it needs to happen. It is more of an age old bargain that was negotiated many Millennia ago. This act of breathing just as complex to comprehend as well as explain. We all enjoy this act of breathing from moment to moment. The systems that support the lungs can only really be described as a complex highway intertwined and interdependent. The nerves that shoot impulses to the muscles and the veins and arteries that give them blood. Each has a roll; and each cannot exist without the other. The breath that we take for granted is really seems like a purposeful miracle. This simple act of a breath is not so simple indeed. It is more simply taken for granted, much like anything else in the world. The breath is a gift that, for some, is easily taken.



___


The End



The past has happened. The future is unknown. Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present.


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment