Monday, August 17, 2009

Lies and Propaganda!

Hello all I am back from vacation. I need to confess something to all of you. I was not honest about my plans for vacation. I went back to America for 2 weeks to surprise my friends and family. I had to make a complete alibi about my whereabouts. I really wanted to keep my parents in the dark as much as possible. I lied to everyone that knew them and to people that didn't know them at all. The only people that knew were my brother and his fiance. So this is how the story unfolded.

Around June I had to make a decision on where I wanted to go to for vacation. I had several options. There was Japan, China or the Philippines. I had options and plans for any one of those places. I was on the fence on all three. I started to talk to my parents and my brother on where I could possibly go to for vacation. They of course pushed for me to come home. I was not completely sold on coming back so soon just for a quick visit. I was concerned that I was going to stay home rather then come back to South Korea. I think that is what my family wanted to happen too secretly. So I discussed the idea with my brother over an over. My parents kept on pushing and offering bribes for me to come home. Eventually I decided to come home. I wanted to make it a surprise to everyone. The issue was that my parents kept track of my bills, so I did not want them to be alerted with a ticket purchase for America. I asked my brother to pay for me so that I can pretend I had other plans for my parents. I bought my tickets and that is when the lies began. My parents initially thought I was going to the Philippines. I would have used that lie to sell the idea, but I have too much family there and my parents would have used all their contacts to help me find a place to sleep. So I told them I was going to spend 2 weeks in Japan. I thought that just telling them that would be enough of a cover story, I was wrong. Once I I sold them the idea, they wanted an itinerary for my trip. I did not know how or to show them a fake itinerary. So for a couple of weeks I played the card of I want to be independent. I booked my flight for August 1, so my I thought I could keep it up for a little while. I kept the lie alive for 2 or 3 weeks. They kept on insisting on the itinerary. I kept on insisting on not telling them at all. I got into a couple of verbal discussions with my parents about it. As August came closer my parents started not to believe the lies I told them. They started to suspect I was coming home.

It was nearly a week before I had planned to come home. My father had jokingly said that he knew what I had planning. I asked him what. He told me that he knew I was coming home. I told him that it was not true. This is the part where I knew my cover was blown. So I decided to make a new lie on top of the old lie. I asked my father if he wanted to know the truth, he said yes. This is the part where I had to make up a bigger harder lie. I told him that I met a girl. I told them that she and I will travel South Korea together. I had to make up her name, where she was teaching, where she was from, how we met and where we plan to go. I had to create this lie very early in the morning to my father. Once I set that lie, he lectured me about having a "special" friend. Then he went off to work. I was not surprised to get a call from my mother. She started asking me about my plans in Japan, as if she didn't speak to my father about my new "special" friend. I played along with her, then she started to ask about this new friend. I told her what I told my father about the girl. Since it was early morning all of my head was not in the game. I mixed up the state that she was from, but they both bought the lie. Then I received an email from the both of them. They bought tickets to visit me in South Korea in September. I kept the lie going for almost 2 months. I told my father not to buy tickets until November. Then they go and buy tickets 2 days before I come home. My brother instantly called me. He and I spoke about various options. We decided that nothing could be done and that they could try to cancel when I get home. So I wait until my flight to home.

I will take a break for now. There are many stories ahead starting at the airport.


___


The End (for now)



The tangled webs we weave when we first deceive.


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment