Thursday, December 10, 2009

Curveball

I didn't plan on writing today, but life has given me a little bit of a pick me up. By all means it was a normal day; I taught my classes and I went through my day. I enjoyed hot coco that I made to counter the cold day. I sat and played my video games on my computer while I was in my classes. On all accounts, I had a very boring day.

I came home thinking to myself that I did not want to cook dinner. I cook about 85% of the time for my dinners. Tonight I felt really lazy to do anything. So I strolled into the local Chinese Restaurant. I go there so often that they know what I like to order. So I walk into the place and the owner greets me with a smile and a small laugh. He says the food item that I usually order and I say yes. He sits down with me at my table and in broken English we have a conversation. He and I spoke about where I was from and how long I have been in South Korea. I ask him in tern about his history. He serves me a cup of green tea. While I waited for the food, he walks up and hands me a bottle of soda and says it's free. He pours me a cup and I return the favor. The food is served very quickly and I eat it just as fast. He then walks over again and hands me a cup of coffee. I thank him over and over again.

I walked over to the counter to pay for the meal. His wife discounts my meal from the regular price. She says in Korean "because you are a teacher in Gyeokpo." I thank her abundantly. I felt humbled by the show of care and friendship they showed. So I ran back into my room and grab a couple bars of Hersey's Chocolate. I walk into the place again and give her a small token of my appreciation. She smiles from ear to ear and says "thank you very much."

I have been back in my room ever since then. I have not stopped smiling. I had forgotten the simple pleasure of giving. I liked the fact that they gave me some free stuff, but something about giving them something as small as that kinda blew my mind. This all comes at a time where Christmas is just around the corner. I have been teaching my children Christmas Carols. I have been singing all my favorite song with them. This night almost just puts a bow on top of it all.

The weekend is coming and I will be spending it with some very close friends. I think it will really put me in the mood for Christmas. If I had the real verbal capacity to express my feelings right now I would, but sadly I cannot. I think one word can really express it all. Joy.


___


The End


Tis better to give than receive.


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. This reads the way you speak, easygoing, light and interesting. I like the fact that you just write, without trying to use every big word you know all at once. You also keep your blog posts to the point of the story whereas so many people use every possible opportunity to mention something great about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cez.... i have never read ure blog till i saw this one. I am very proud of you. I see this experience has given you the exposure to understand human nature on a totaly different level. I hope you continue to open your eyes and heart and learn more about different people and cultures. I hope you can teach me some Korean when u get back. I hope you have a blast while you are there. I pray to god that you gain more experiences like this, maybe in another country or a different culture. email me, facebook me... keep in touch.... i really want to have a conversation with the post korea cezar.... all my prayers are with you and i hope your holiday season is wonderful.- shayna

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow cezar. i really like this post dude. thats really good to hear. sometimes people just seem cold and rude. lol good read.

    ReplyDelete