Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bitter sweet

Last night it started to snow. I was extremely excited. It had been a very long time since I have seen some good fresh powder. I decided to go a little old school and make myself some hot coco. I sat on my floor with my window open and watched the snow come. For some reason I started to have a couple flash backs of my childhood. I started to laugh and giggle to myself. After a good amount of time I went to bed satisfied.


the mountain outside my appartment


my street

The next morning I woke up and looked outside my window to see the aftermath, it was great. It had snowed all night and it didn't stop. The snowflakes were huge and it really made my town look like a winter wonderland. So I prepared for the day with excitement of being able to play in the snow for a while. I also was heading out the door somewhat sad. It was my last day with my favorite school. I realized, as I made some childlike markings in the snow, that I would really never see these kids again. Over the months I have become fond with them. They are a funny and spirited group of kids.

I step into my school. I had decided to buy some chocolates for my co-teachers as a going away present. So I gave it out to them saying thank you and good-bye. I waited for my first class to begin. My last classes with my kids, I decided to just have fun with them. One of my co-teachers suggested for me to get the kids to write Christmas cards to me. I instantly thought that it was a great idea. It would give me something to do to kill some time and they would like the activity. I didn't expect it to be so touching. They spent so much time and effort creating some thoughtful cards. They also said many great things. I fancy myself as a tough guy kinda hard to keep my emotions down. I found that in Korea emotions are not shown too much on the outside. The kids, even the boys, were all very sad and many of them hugged me good-bye. I found it very touching.


Some of my boys


Some of my girls

One of the nicest things that really put the topping on the situation; was the scenery. The snow really did a number on the surrounding mountains. the snow covered trees actually glistened in the sun. There were little pockets of trees that didn't have snow in the mountains that brought out the color of the snow. As the snow was falling and I stared out the window, I could not help myself but sing songs.


My view from one of the classrooms

During lunch time several of my children came up to me and asked if I wanted to play in the snow with them. I said yes. I quickly ran to my office put my gloves on and played. I really haven't had that much fun in Korea in a while. Throwing snowballs, laughing, and playing with my kids. They seemed to have fun and they were actually practicing their English while we played.

All together it was a great day. As I left the school, I could hear most to all of my kids yelling my name and saying goodbye. A few of them actually started walking with me and talking while I left. I could tell that they really didn't want me to leave. I told them good bye one last time and gave each one of them a hug.


___


The End


Parting is such sweet sorrow.


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. awww thats so saddd. :( yet again, another great read though, cezar.

    ReplyDelete