Monday, September 21, 2009

A Taste of Home

OK. I know that I was supposed to update you guys on what has been happening the past couple of weeks. I have been so swamped with doing work and trying to relax that I really haven't had a chance to write anything down. I kinda feel bad about it, but here I am again. To the best of my abilities I will try to do a short update.

Within the past 3 weeks that I have been back, many things have happened that changed how I do things here in South Korea. First thing that was really a swift kick to the pants was that I lost all of my private students. As you may remember I took on some children to teach them English. Once I got back from America I was informed that I no longer was needed. The Koreans have become phobic of the Swine Flu. They assumed that I have it because I left Korea to go to America. I was pretty disappointed that I no longer had my students. That is a lot of money out of my pockets.

Changing the subject to the fear of Swine Flu here in Korea. I find it ridiculous how the media and everyone else here has made this swine flu out to be the next plague. The Koreans have such a fear of this flu it is almost funny in a sad way. I spoke to many of my students and my co-teachers, they feel that staying inside and away from everybody is a good way to prevent the spread of it. The swine flu is just that, a new flu. Yes, people died from this flu, but many more people die from the common cold then the Swine flu, especially here in Korea. They refuse to look at the bigger picture when it came down to it all. They only see what the media hypes it up to be. Apparently the Koreans believe everything the media says, which is a problem. I recently read a report that suicide takes about over 1000 South Koreans a year. These deaths are PREVENTABLE because many of them call out for help before they do it. Yet, they don't focus on something that is preventable and make a mountain out of a mole hill. Sometimes I sit back and chuckle a little bit on the oxymoron that is South Korea. They want to prevent the spread of the swine flu yet they still share cups, food, and still have the public bathing areas. I spoke to a couple of Koreans about that, their response was "we wash our hands." Yes, washing hands is good, but that is really not how the flu gets around. ANYWAYS, I am going to stop talking about this now and move on.


OK. The past couple of weeks have been relatively quiet. I have been traveling in and out of Seoul like 2 weeks straight. I went for a couple of Hashes and really just burnt my legs out. Basically the past 3 weeks I have been spending way too much money. Many of my friends also left the South Korea. Many of them were finishing up their contracts, it made me sad to see them go. Goodbye ToT and GYU, you were really good friends to me.


For the matter at hand, last week. My Parents decided to come and visit me for a week. They stayed in Gyeokpo for about 4 days. They toured the area and I showed them some sights. They also did a lot of nothing. They relaxed for the days they were here. I showed them the local foods, they seemed to enjoy that. We spent a lot of time together just bonding and what not. They also cleaned my room and bought me supplies. I had spent a week trying to clean my room, then my parents come in and show me what clean really meant. I quickly dispatched their work, because I am a slob. After a couple of days here, I sent them to Jeonju to enjoy that area. They visited the traditional village and then once I arrived we all went to dinner with some of my closer friends here in South Korea. I really enjoyed just sitting there watch as my parents were busting my balls with my friends. All in all it was good times had by everyone. The next day we went to Seoul together. It was really my first time going to Seoul with intentions of exploring it. My parents and I ended up catching a bus that did a city tour. We were able to hop on and off the bus, so we can just enjoy the area for a short time and hop back on. We saw a couple nice places, I discovered some really cool places that I intend to visit again. My last stop was Itaewon. I knew the area and I knew how to get to where I was going from there. So my parents and I ate lunch and a local Chinese food place, which was awesome. Then we walked around trying to find things to buy. It was generally a good time. When it came time for me to say goodbye I knew what to expect. My mom hugged me and wouldn't let go for a couple of minutes and my dad stayed silent. I said my goodbyes and as I walked down into the subway I turn around to wave and see my mom crying. It was definitely bitter sweet.



___


The End


"We love you" -Mom and Dad


-Cezar
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment