Thursday, January 28, 2010

Slippery When Wet

This past weekend was interesting. A group of my friends decided to go to a mountain for some fun in the snow. They wanted to go skiing. I really only went skiing once in my life, so the opportunity to go excited me. I was also excited to go skiing in South Korea; an opportunity that many people do not have the chance of taking. The trip was to take place on Saturday around 7am. The night before we all were guessing on how far away the resort was, best guess was an hour and thirty minutes. So we board the bus around 6:45 am along with several other people from Iksan. The bus was full of people and seating was very slim. We all eventually find seats.

It was 7am and I was very much fatigued. I wanted to sleep but sleeping on a bus for me is nearly impossible especially when I am uncomfortable. So I had no choice but to stay awake and make conversation with people that I didn't know too well. I had a couple of interesting and funny conversations with people that kept me entertained for a while. The temperature outside was very cold so the bus driver decided to increase the temperature in the bus. This was a nice relief for me, for the first half hour. The bus driver put it on max heat. There were issues with that.

First the traffic was so horrible that it turned a one and a half hour trip into a 3 hour trip.

Second, it was so hot in the bus that at one point everyone started to take off all their layers to keep cool. We all had to suffer the temperature in the bus until about 10 am.

The bus eventually arrives at Muju resort. We were all excited. We were finally here to ski and we can get out of the hot bus and into the cold weather. Once I stepped out of the bus I was relieved. Then shortly after, like 1 minute, I wanted to retreat back into the bus because of the cold weather.

Prior to leaving the bus we were all asked what we wanted to do. I assumed that there will only be skiing at the resort, but they also offered snowboarding. They offered snowboarding only at a slightly higher price then skiing. I was amazed and excited. I have never snowboarded in my life and doing it in Korea really sounded like a good idea.

So I get off the bus after the 3 hour bus ride. I have my ticket in hand. The group was lead into the resort where we can pick up our stuff. We all fall in a huge line. Apparently everyone in South Korea decided to come that day to go snowboarding or skiing. So we all get in line. Eventually we get in front and are able to get the equipment.

After we got our equipment and accessories, we hunted for lockers. That took about another half hour to find an empty locker. So we didn't really get to go into the snow until about 11:45ish.

All the experienced people decided to go ahead. I lost track of the whole group all together. So I walked to the bunny hill and decided to teach myself. So there I was snowboard on hand and no clue on how to use it.

It took me 10 min to figure out how the straps worked. Then it took me about 3 hours to figure out how to stand up. After that turning and stopping was simple. Even though I figured out how to do all that stuff my confidence was not high enough to tackle the mountains. So I stuck around the bunny hills and the smaller hills to practice not falling on my face and what not. So I ended up spending all the day on my face or the other end.

It was a fun day but I ended up breaking my sunglasses that I had in my pocket. No fun.

So we return our equipment. We were waiting for some other people to come meet us. We were supposed to get to the bus around 4:20 and it was supposed to leave at 4:30. The majority of the people made it to the bus. We tried to stall the bus as much as possible, but we voted to leave. The people that were missing ended up at the top of the mountain still skiing. So we wished them luck and the bus went on it's way.

The bus trip was relatively short in comparison to going to the place. We got back before I knew it. My friends and I decided to rest for an hour then go out. We get some food and then go out. We made jokes about the people we left behind. Eventually they meet up with us. We gathered to hear their story on how they got back.


___


The End


If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.


-Cezar-
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment